30th November 2021
Make a Donation

NBGS gov’t warns of looming hunger in the state

Author : Mabior Philip | Published: Friday, April 17, 2015

People may starve to death unless the national government supplies food soon, Northern Bahr al-Ghazal State government has warned.

The state minister of information, Wek Kuch Deng, told Eye Radio that all the counties are already experiencing severe food shortage.

Aerial bombardments and border incursions by the Sudan’s displaced people resulted to poor harvests last year.

“It is beyond our capacity at the state level. So, we need solution from the national level, not us here,” Mr Deng told Eye Radio.

“No people have died at the present. The bad thing is that there is a possibility that people are going to die.”

He says the closure of the border with Sudan this month has also resulted into limited food imports.

Support Eye Radio, the first independent radio broadcaster of news, information & entertainment in South Sudan.

Make a monthly or a one off contribution.